Cage-Free Duck Fat
Cage-Free Duck Fat
This cage-free and rendered Duck Fat is great for confit-style dishes, roasted veggies, and savory pies. The fat is sourced from specially bred ducks that are raised to forage on land rather than water, raised with room to roam, socialize, run around, preen their feathers, and live their best ducky lives.
Ingredients: Cage-Free Duck Fat, Organic Rosemary Extract*
(*As oxidized animal fats are not good for you, the USDA requires this poultry fat contain very small amounts of Organic Rosemary Extract. Rosemary has natural antioxidant properties and adds a mild yet pleasant taste to the fat.)
Benefits of Duck Fat
Ever heard of the French Paradox?
This refers to the low rate of coronary heart disease (CHD) in France despite the diet being rich in saturated fat. What fat is most commonly consumed in the area of France with the least amount of heart disease? You guessed it. Duck Fat. Correlative, speculative, sure... We're just saying...
- The monounsaturated fat in duck fat may help to maintain desirable levels of “good” HDL cholesterol
- Can play a role in reducing levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol
- Similar to olive oil in regard to its health benefits, with a wonderful savory flavor
- Duck fat was used to make the original French fry, and is an ideal cooking fat for potatoes and more!
- Because of its high proportion of monounsaturated and saturated fats, duck fat remains stable during cooking and won't cause oxidative cell damage like other more unstable oils can.
Benefits of Saturated Fat
Animal fats like tallow, lard, and duck fat contain healthy amounts of saturated fat. Why is that so good?
- Provides energy
- Makes up cell membranes
- Necessary for healthy liver function
- Required in order to absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K
- Helps to protect the organs
- Needed for proper hormone formation and balance
- Imperative to managing inflammation in the body
Fatworks has one big fat mission: to educate the mainstream population about the benefits of using REAL cooking oils like tallow, lard, and duck fat while crafting these traditional fats the most natural way possible. For years fat has been marginalized, (not to mention margarinized), maligned, slandered, beat up, picked on and falsely accused! But no longer: Fatworks has made it their mission to bring back traditional fat. But not just any fat, mind you. We’re talking about pasture raised, non-GMO fat raised from animals free from antibiotics and hormones. Just how it should be. We are proud and excited to stock such high-quality fats here at Urban Farm Collection. Every jar is full of fat gathered from small, responsible farms working hard to swim against the current of the commercial market; all while maintaining the dignity of farming and true nutrition. That’s worth a big fat hooray!